Monday, July 21, 2008

Natural Dilemma

3 years ago when I made the decision to stop chemically straightening my hair I never realized how much time and maintenance was still required to not only keep my hair healthy but to also keep it looking good. I was excited to shed years of straight lifeless locs and start embracing my roots literally. I still get my hair pressed ever so often because I have become very accustomed to that style but as any natural sista will tell you it is not worth pressing your hair in the summer.. well at least not worth paying someone to do it because it won't last but a minute. Many people don't realize the emotional aspect behind "growing out your perm." I was trained ever since my first relaxer (maybe even before then) that straight hair is better even though those chemicals are very damaging to our hair. So I've had to go through a lot of growing and self-loving to find the courage to not only wear my curly fro as I call it around my family & friends on the weekends but to also be able to walk into my very typical Corporate-America workplace on a Monday morning with my curly locs still glistening from the mousse I scrunched in it only moments before the morning commute. So where it may not seem like such a big deal, internally I, as I am sure many other "naturals," had to at one point in time go through a physical and emotional transformation before being able to fully feel free and embrace who they are..curls, kinks, waves, and all! Thank God I'm pretty much over that part. But what brings me to today's dilemma: How to wear my hair this weekend while in Miami considering the heat, the humidity, and the beach. All weekend I struggled thinking about the many ideas and suggestions from friends ranging from my curly fro, braid sets, flat twists, to weave. I would love to wear my hair in a pressed out style but I ruled that idea out weeks ago. The moment I step one foot off the plane, my hair would look like a poofy animal was resting on top of my head therefore resorting me to ponytails the entire trip. So I wanted a style that would be grown & sexy but still versatile to look good with every outfit I plan to wear but yet low maintenance so that I can still sit out on the beach everyday and feel casual and relaxed. I decided to just wear my natual curls although I'm certain my fro won't fit under my new beach hat. Oh well, it's simple and with bobby pins & holding mousse I can style it for every occasion.

6 comments:

octoberwildchild said...

good idea. i'm getting a perm and a very short cut next summer, ufck this.

tigerlily said...

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Unforgettable Moments said...

braid it then let it out, then wear it curly froish
there

SCORPIOLOGIST said...

Natural hair is sooo much work. Now my hair is toooo straight and no i didn't even perm it. Go figure!

Scrilla said...

you KNOW I feel you. If I didn't want to rebel against society and embrace my natural beauty I'd just say eff it and get a perm :/ But I LOVE my hair!!!!!! All relationships take work though, even the one with your hair, lol.

GL said...

YES!

that is all.

:)