Monday, January 12, 2009

All Dogs Go to Heaven

I remember the very first time I saw her. Reese came riding down the street on his BMX bike with a puppy under his arm. An adorable tiny fawn colored puppy full of energy. Jay Short's dog Missy delivered only one puppy and they couldn't keep it. So Reese brought her to my house. I guess since we had owned every other type of animal so why not give us a dog too. She was too precious for a typical dog name, so I named her Shana. It's hard to believe that was almost 12 years ago. She was very special. Not just because she was the only puppy in the litter but because she brought my family so much love and joy over the years. She's seen the children grow up, summer BBQs in the backyard - (her favorite place!), fist fights in the house, and many holiday gatherings. Shana was incredibly smart for a dog. She would run around the house looking for our bird when you'd ask her "Shana, where's Butterbean?" although he had been dead for months. She knew to look out of the closest door or window when you'd ask "Who's outside Shana?" She also knew to jump down off the sofa anytime mom came home. Well that was until dad caught Shana in his chair watching the Craftmatic Adjustable bed commercial...she refused to get off of the furniture after that day. And I'll always remember how much she loved going for walks and riding in my brother's car.
Jason, remember when the billy goat dog stole your rhymes? I miss her already...

3 comments:

Unforgettable Moments said...

Shana is happy now in doggy heaven. DOnt be too sad. She knows you think about her.
RIP Shana

GL said...

:(

I know I'm late. But I'm still sad.

tigerlily said...

yeah it's so crazy because I miss her and I think about her a lot but more like disbelief. I find myself thinking "omg Shana is dead".. I've gone home a few times since she passed and its SO weird not hearing her bark at the door when I pulled up in the driveway and not seeing her chubby little body running through the house. My mom & dad buried her in the yard that she loved so much and we all take comfort in knowing that she's not suffering anymore and will forever be in her favorite place.